Add a drawing
You can draw in Pages to add illustrations and diagrams to your documents.
- To draw with Apple Pencil, tap your Pencil on the page. To use your finger, or if you've turned on Select and Scroll with Apple Pencil, tap > > Drawing.
- If Drawing isn't already selected at the bottom of the screen, tap it.
- Start drawing:
- In a word processing document, if you don't already see an orange drawing box, tap your Apple Pencil anywhere on the page, then draw in the box. If you're drawing with your finger, tap to add a drawing box. You can resize the drawing area by dragging its handles. Text flows around the drawing box.
- In a page layout document, draw anywhere.
- To switch drawing tools, tap a tool at the bottom of the screen. You can also use the following tools for different effects or functions:
- To draw a new, filled-in shape, tap , then start drawing. To fill an area, tap , then tap the area you want to fill.
- To erase, tap , then drag on the drawing.
- To edit parts of a drawing, tap , then tap or drag around the part of the drawing you want to edit.
- To draw with a different color, tap the colored circle, then select a color. Swipe left to fine-tune a color.
- To draw with a different stroke size and opacity, tap the tool twice, then tap a new stroke size. Or, drag a slider to adjust the opacity.
- To undo the last action, tap .
- When you’re finished, tap Done.
To continue drawing with Apple Pencil, just start drawing on the page. If you’re not sure which mode you used last, tap the page with Apple Pencil (it won’t add a mark), then check which button is selected at the bottom of the screen.
Resize and move your drawing
You can resize and move the drawing after you've added it:
- To resize the drawing, tap the drawing with your finger, then drag the handles of the box.
- To move the drawing, tap the drawing with your finger, then drag it.
Edit parts of a drawing
- If necessary, tap the drawing with your finger, then tap Edit Drawing from the pop-up menu.
- Tap at the bottom of the screen, then tap or drag around the part of drawing you want to edit. An outline appears around the selection.
- Tap an option in the pop-up menu:
- To resize a selection, tap Resize, then drag the handles of the box around the drawing.
- To make one drawing into two drawings, tap Separate in the pop-up menu.
- You can also cut, copy, paste, delete, and duplicate a selection.
Animate a drawing
You can animate a drawing in a Pages document so the drawing appears as if it's being drawn.
Here's how to animate a drawing on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- If you're in drawing mode, tap Done. Otherwise, go to the next step.
- Tap the drawing to select it.
- Tap , then tap Drawing.
- Turn on Animate Drawing, then adjust other options such as duration.
- To play back the animation, tap Play or Play Drawing.
On a Mac, you can animate a drawing that's been added to a document in Pages for iOS.
- In the Pages document with the drawing, select the drawing.
- Click , select Animate Drawing, then adjust other options such as duration.
- To play back the animation, click Play in the Format sidebar, or click Play Drawing on the page.
Add an annotation
You can mark up your document with Smart Annotations. When you add annotations to text, objects, or table cells in a document, the annotations move with the text or objects as you edit. If you want to add illustrations to the document, add a drawing instead.
- To add an annotation with Apple Pencil, tap anywhere on the page. To use your finger, or if you've turned on Select and Scroll with Apple Pencil, tap > Smart Annotation Beta.
- If Smart Annotation is not already selected at the bottom of the screen, tap it.
- Add your marks.
- To switch tools or change the color of the tool used for annotation, tap a tool or color at the bottom of the screen.
- To erase, tap at the bottom of the screen, then tap the annotation. To erase all annotations, tap Erase All at the top of the screen.
- To show or hide the tools, tap .
- To scroll the page when using Apple Pencil, swipe with one finger. If you're using your finger to annotate, swipe with two fingers.
- When you’re finished, tap Done.
You can delete an annotation after it's been added. Tap the annotation, then tap Delete. If you delete the text or object you've annotated, the annotation is also deleted.
If you want to just hide smart annotations:
- On an iPad, tap , then turn Smart Annotations off.
- On an iPhone or iPod touch, tap > Smart Annotation Beta > Hide Smart Annotations.
To continue annotating with Apple Pencil, just start writing on the page. If you’re not sure which mode you used last, tap the page with Apple Pencil, then check which button is selected at the bottom of the screen.
Export a document with smart annotations
If you export your document as a PDF with smart annotations turned on, they'll appear on the PDF. Smart annotations don't appear on documents exported as Word, RTF, EPUB, or Pages '09 files.
Work with Smart Annotations on a Mac
If you're using iCloud to keep all your Pages documents up to date across all your devices, annotations appear in your document on all your devices. On a Mac, you can remove, show, or hide smart annotations when editing a document.
- To delete an annotation, select the annotation, then press Delete.
- To remove all annotations, choose Edit > Remove Smart Annotations.
- To show or hide all annotations, choose View > Show/Hide Smart Annotations.
Select and Scroll with Apple Pencil
You can use Apple Pencil to select objects and scroll in your document. Go to Settings > Pages, then turn on Select and Scroll with Apple Pencil.
To add a drawing to a document when Select and Scroll with Apple Pencil is turned on, tap > > Drawing.