Audio formats supported on Apple TV
Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD automatically play sound in the highest quality that's supported by your home entertainment system setup and that's available with content that you watch.
If your home entertainment system doesn't support the audio format that Apple TV automatically selects, you can manually change the audio format. Go to Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format and turn on Change Format. From here you can choose the following:
- Dolby Digital 5.1: Plays audio on multiple speakers and a subwoofer, like a 5.1 speaker setup.
- Stereo: Supported audio quality for all televisions, movies, and TV shows that plays sound through a right and left channel.
Setups you can use
On Apple TV 4K with the latest version of tvOS, you can listen to music, movies, and TV shows in Dolby Atmos. You can use the following setups to play sound in Dolby Atmos or surround sound:
- One or two HomePod speakers*
- A television that supports Dolby Atmos audio
- A Dolby Atmos compatible sound bar with a television that supports Dolby Atmos audio
- A Dolby Atmos-enabled AV receiver
* Your Apple TV and HomePod speakers automatically play sound in Dolby Atmos or surround sound if it's available with content that you watch. HomePod mini doesn't support Dolby Atmos. If you want to set up home theater audio with HomePod, find out how.