To use FaceTime for audio or video calls, you need an Internet connection and a built-in or connected microphone or camera. Then simply open the FaceTime app and sign in with your Apple ID.
Make a FaceTime call
Open the FaceTime app and use the search field to enter the email address or phone number of the person that you want to call. If that person is already in your contacts, you can just enter their name.
- To make a FaceTime audio call, click Audio.
- To make a FaceTime video call, click Video.
You can also click in the menu bar and ask Siri to ”FaceTime audio Lisa” or ”FaceTime John,” for example.
Answer or decline a FaceTime call
- If you click next to Accept, you can choose to accept as FaceTime audio instead of FaceTime video.
- If you click next to Decline, you can choose to send a message or set a reminder to call back later.
To stop receiving FaceTime calls on your Mac, open FaceTime, then choose FaceTime > Turn FaceTime Off from the menu bar.
Use Group FaceTime
If you've installed macOS Mojave 10.14.3 (and the macOS Mojave 10.14.3 Supplemental Update1) or later, you can use Group FaceTime to chat with up to 32 people.2 Each person's tile automatically increases in size whenever someone speaks.
Make a Group FaceTime call
- Open the FaceTime app.
- Enter the names of your contacts, emails, or phone numbers.
- Click or to start your FaceTime call.
To make a Group FaceTime call from a group in your recents, click , then click to start the call.
You can also make a Group FaceTime call from Messages. Just go to a conversation, click Details, then click or .
Answer or decline a Group FaceTime call
Use any of these ways to join a Group FaceTime call that someone else started:
- Click the notification from the Notification Center or the Lock screen, then click .
- To join a Group FaceTime call from Messages, click Join from the group conversation in Messages.
- To join a call from the FaceTime app, click next to the active call, then click to join the call.
Add a person to a Group FaceTime call
- Click to show the sidebar.
- Click to add a person.
- Enter your contact's name, email, or phone number, then click Add.
Change your settings during a call
Move your pointer over the FaceTime window during a call to show the onscreen controls.
Click to hide and show the sidebar. From here, you can add more people, see who is on the call, and message everyone on the call.
Click to mute and unmute your microphone.
Click to mute and unmute your video.
Click to take your FaceTime call full screen.
Click to end your FaceTime call.
2. FaceTime displays up to 4 or 9 live video tiles at the same time depending on your Mac model. The most active 4 or 9 speakers display video tiles, while other participants display an exclamation point.
FaceTime is not available in all countries or regions.