You can upgrade to the latest version of macOS Server from the Mac App Store. If you move to a new server, you can use Migration Assistant to copy server data and settings from your previous server.
Before you begin
If your Mac uses macOS Sierra or later, you can upgrade and migrate to the latest version of macOS Server. If your Mac uses an older version of macOS, learn how to upgrade your macOS Server from an earlier version.
Before you upgrade or migrate your macOS Server, follow these steps:
- Back up your server with Time Machine or another method.
- Make sure that your target server meets the system requirements for the latest versions of both macOS and macOS Server.
- If your server relies on DNS or DHCP servers, make sure that they're turned on during the process.
- Prepare for changes to macOS Server.
Upgrade your server
- If your Mac uses macOS Sierra or macOS High Sierra, check for any updates for macOS. If an update is available for macOS, click Update.
- Check for any updates to macOS Server. If an update is available, click Update, then open the Server app and finish the setup.
- Upgrade to the latest version of macOS Mojave.
- Update to the latest version of macOS Server.
- Open the Server app and finish the setup.
Migrate your server
You can use any one of the following sources to migrate your server data to another Mac:
- A server connected in target disk mode
- A local hard drive or volume
- A Time Machine backup
You can’t use a network connection from a Time Machine backup or an existing server to migrate a macOS Server.
How to migrate your server data
- Install the latest version of macOS on the target system.
- Connect your previous server or backup device to the target system.
- Open Migration Assistant on the target system and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Select your previous server or backup device when prompted.
- When the migration finishes, install macOS Server.
- Open the macOS Server app and complete the setup.
Update your server on OS X El Capitan and earlier
When your Mac uses OS X El Capitan and earlier, you have to delete the macOS Server app and your server data before you can update to the latest version. Here's how: