Note Final Cut Pro preference settings
Choose Final Cut Pro > Preferences and note any specific settings you've made. You'll have to manually restore preference settings after you reinstall Final Cut Pro. For example, you can take a screenshot of each preference setting window to help restore the settings.
Back up the app and libraries
If you plan on reinstalling Final Cut Pro, back up your Final Cut Pro libraries. You can use a system-wide backup solution like Time Machine, or you can simply copy the library to a dedicated backup drive.
If you want to reinstall the version of the Final Cut Pro app that's currently installed on your Mac, back up your current copy of the Final Cut Pro application. If you want to install the latest version of Final Cut Pro, you can do so from the Mac App Store.
Delete Final Cut Pro
- Locate the Final Cut Pro app in the Applications folder. Or use Spotlight to find the app, then press and hold the Command (⌘) key while double-clicking the app in Spotlight.
- Drag the Final Cut Pro app to the Trash, or select the app and choose File > Move to Trash.
- If you're asked for a user name and password, enter the name and password of an administrator account on your Mac. This is probably the name and password you use to log in to your Mac.
- To delete the app, choose Finder > Empty Trash.
Reinstall Final Cut Pro
You can install the latest version of Final Cut Pro from the App Store. You can also reinstall the version of the app that was previously installed on your Mac if you backed it up.
Install the latest version of Final Cut Pro from the App Store
- Open the App Store on your Mac.
- Click your name in the sidebar, then find the app that you want to download. If you don't see your name in the sidebar, click Sign In, sign in with your Apple ID, then click your photo in the sidebar.
- If you use Family Sharing, you can choose a family member's name next to "Purchased by" to see their purchases.
- Click the download button for the app. Learn what to do if you can't redownload the app.
When you open the restored app for the first time, you might be required to sign in with the Apple ID account that you used to purchase the app.
Install Final Cut Pro from a backup
- Locate the ZIP file you created when you backed up the Final Cut Pro app.
- Double-click the ZIP file.
- Drag the application to the Applications folder on your Mac.