Resolve issues with AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring from iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Use these steps if:
- The AirPlay icon doesn't appear on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- There are performance issues while using AirPlay or AirPlay Mirroring.
Try these steps first
- Verify that your iOS device's software is up to date.
- Verify your Apple TV's software is up to date.
- Verify that your iOS device has Wi-Fi turned on. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi on your iOS device and turn on Wi-Fi.
- Connect all AirPlay-enabled devices to the same Wi-Fi network.
Go to Settings > General > Network on your Apple TV to see which Wi-Fi network it's connected to. On your iOS device, tap Settings > Wi-Fi and confirm it's on the same network as your Apple TV.
- With peer-to-peer AirPlay, an iOS device can stream to Apple TV without first joining the same Wi-Fi network. Find out if your iOS device can use peer-to-peer AirPlay.
If the AirPlay icon doesn't appear
If you are still unable to see the AirPlay icon , try one of these steps:
- If trying to AirPlay, or AirPlay mirror, to your Apple TV, ensure that AirPlay is enabled on your Apple TV as well. You can enable or disable AirPlay on Apple TV in the AirPlay menu: Settings > AirPlay.
- Check Internet or network connectivity on all affected devices.
- Some content requires an Internet connection to authorize content playback. AirPlay capabilities may be limited if your network is not connected to the Internet.
- If attempting to use AirPlay from a third-party app or a website from your Safari app on your iOS device, confirm that the app or website is AirPlay compatible (refer to the developers of the app or website for additional information).
Resolve performance issues with AirPlay or AirPlay Mirroring
If you are experiencing intermittent playback or significant network lag with AirPlay or AirPlay Mirroring, it could be due to a weak Wi-Fi connection, interference, or the distance between the Wi-Fi router and your iOS device, Apple TV or AirPort Express.
Try these suggestions:
- Ensure that other devices are not trying to stream to the same Apple TV at the same time.
- Ensure that your Wi-Fi router is set up with the recommended settings for the best performance.
- Certain external devices, such as microwave ovens and baby monitors, may interfere with a Wi-Fi network. Try moving or disabling these devices.
- If possible, try to locate your Wi-Fi router in the same room as your iOS device and Apple TV.
- If your wireless and wired networks are the same, try connecting your Apple TV to the router via Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi.
- If the Wi-Fi router has an external antenna, check to see that is it connected properly and in good condition.
- Use the Wi-Fi network troubleshooting guide to resolve interference and other issues.
If you are using iTunes, please see these troubleshooting guidelines.