Troubleshooting MacBook Air hinges
Learn what you can do if you experience one or more of these issues with the hinges on your MacBook Air.
- Unable to close lid completely.
- Broken or cracked plastic near one or both of the hinges.
- More than one inch (2.54cm) of free play while opening or closing the lid.
- Lid falls freely into closed position from a 30-degree open position. (From a closed position, open the lid approximately 30 degrees and let go.)
You can take your MacBook Air to an Apple-Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation. The findings of the evaluation and the age of the computer will determine if the computer will be covered or not (if the system is out of warranty).
- This issue affects only a small number of MacBook Air computers.
- If you previously paid for a repair for hinge-related issues that were not caused by accidental damage, you may be eligible for a refund. Contact Apple for more information.
If you plan to visit an Apple Retail store, make a reservation at the Genius Bar using http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/. (Available only in some countries.)