OS X Lion: Install, update, and uninstall apps
You can choose from thousands of Mac OS X applications to purchase or download and install on your computer. If you no longer want an app, you can easily remove it from your computer.
- You can buy and download apps from the Mac App Store. After downloading, applications are automatically installed to Launchpad.
- To install apps from a disc, insert the disc into your computer’s optical drive (or an optical drive connected to your computer). Note: If your computer doesn’t have an optical drive or a connected optical drive, you can install the software using another computer’s optical drive.
- To install apps you downloaded from the Internet, double-click the disk image or package file (looks like an open box). Open the installer provided and follow the onscreen instructions. For some downloaded disk image files, the installer opens automatically.
- The Mac App Store lets you know whenever updates are available to the apps you purchased from it. The number of available updates is displayed on the App Store icon in the Dock and on the Updates button in the App Store toolbar. To update apps you purchased from the Mac App Store, click Updates in the App Store toolbar.
- To check for updates to Apple applications that came with your computer, choose Apple menu > Software Update.
- To check for updates to iMovie, iPhoto, and GarageBand (even if they came with your computer), use the Mac App Store.
- To uninstall apps you purchased from the Mac App Store, hold down an app’s icon in Launchpad until all the icons begin to wiggle. Click an app’s delete button (x) to uninstall the app.
If an icon doesn’t have a delete button, that app can’t be uninstalled.
- To uninstall other apps, drag the app to the Trash (the Trash is located at the end of the Dock), and then choose Finder > Empty Trash.
If you change your mind, before emptying the Trash, select the app in the Trash, and then choose File > Put Back.Warning: When you empty the Trash, the app is permanently removed from your computer. If you have any files that you created with the app, you may not be able to open them.