iTunes: About Books
With the latest version of iTunes, you can browse and buy books from the iBooks Store on your computer and on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Browsing the iBooks Store on your computer
Follow these steps to install the latest version of iTunes. To read purchased books on your computer, you will need a Mac using OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later and iBooks for Mac 1.0 or later. To read purchased books on an iOS device, you’ll need an iOS device with a compatible version of the iBooks app. Learn more about book availability in your country.
You can access Books by opening the iTunes Store in iTunes. Then, click Books from the top navigation bar in the iTunes Store.
You can browse by categories or search for your favorite books by title or author using the search function in the upper-right. Click the category selector from the Quick Links section to browse by category.
On a Mac using OS X Mavericks, you can use iBooks to buy books.
Buying and downloading books on your computer
When you find a book you like, you can purchase the book. On a Mac using OS X Mavericks, your books download to iBooks for Mac 1.0. If you want to send a book to your iOS device, use one of these methods:
- Sync it from your iTunes library to an iOS device. On a Mac using OS X Mavericks, you can also use iTunes to sync your iBooks Library to your iOS devices.
- Send it automatically from your computer to your iOS device.
If you're using Windows or an OS X earlier than Mavericks, you can click Get Sample in iTunes to download the sample to iBooks on your compatible iOS device where you're signed in to the iTunes Store. If you're using iTunes on OS X Mavericks or later, click Get Sample in iTunes. A dialog will appear that lets you choose one of these options:
- Click Send to Devices to send the sample to the iOS devices where you’re signed in to the Store.
- Click Go to iBooks to show the book in the iBooks Store and download the sample to your Mac from the iBooks Store.
Books you purchase on your computer will download to your iOS device and your computer if you turn on Automatic Downloads. To enable Automatic Downloads, you must install iOS 4.3.3 or later on your iOS device. To use Automatic Downloads on iPhone 4 (CDMA Model), use iOS5 or later.
Note: You can only read books on iOS devices that have a compatible version of the iBooks app installed. If you update to OS X Mavericks, you can read your purchased books using iBooks for Mac.
Using iBooks Store on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
To browse the iBooks Store on your iOS device, you must install the iBooks app. You can download the iBooks app for free from the App Store. To browse the iBooks Store, follow these steps:
- Open the iBooks app.
- When your bookshelf appears, tap the Store button.
- Tap Featured, Top Charts, Top Authors, or Search in the bottom navigation bar. You can also view featured books as well as books available on the New York Times bestseller lists (United States only).
- Tap a book to view more details or download a free sample. When you buy a book, the book will automatically appear on your iBooks bookshelf.