iOS: Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream content
Use AirPlay to stream music, photos, and video wirelessly to Apple TV and other AirPlay-enabled devices that are on the same Wi-Fi network as your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
What you need
To use AirPlay, you need these:
- iPhone 4 (or later), iPad, iPad mini, or iPod touch (4th generation or later)
- For videos or photos: Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)
- For music: Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), AirPort Express, or AirPlay-enabled speakers or receivers
You can also use AirPlay with iTunes.
You can use AirPlay across any apps and content that allow AirPlay. AirPlay will stay on until you turn it off, so you can keep using it across various apps. Here's how to start using AirPlay.
- Connect your iOS device and Apple TV or AirPort Express to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to access Control Center.
- Tap AirPlay.
See what to do if you don't see the AirPlay icon.
- Tap the name of the device you want to AirPlay to. The icons of a TV screen or speaker next to each AirPlay device show the type of media content you can stream to that device. See what to do if you don't see your device in the list.
- For videos and photos, choose Apple TV.
- For music, choose Apple TV, AirPort Express, or AirPlay-enabled receiver or speakers.
Now the content in Photos, Videos, or the Safari app, will stream to your Apple TV. Audio in the Music or Safari app will stream to your AirPlay-enabled device.
- Use AirPlay Mirroring to mirror exactly what's on your screen.
- See what to do if you need help with AirPlay Mirroring.
If your device isn't using iOS 7
You can AirPlay videos, music, or photos from a variety of different locations on your iOS device, including from within the Photos, Videos, Safari, and Music apps, or directly from recently used apps.
To AirPlay video or photo content to your Apple TV:
- Connect your iOS device and Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open either the Videos, Safari, or Photos app on your device.
- Locate and tap the AirPlay icon (if attempting to AirPlay video content from Safari or Videos, begin playback first).
- Select your Apple TV from the list of available devices that appears and begin playback.
To AirPlay audio content to your Apple TV or AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express:
- Connect your iOS device and Apple TV, AirPlay speakers, receiver, or AirPort Express to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open the Music or Safari app on your device.
- Locate and tap the AirPlay icon.
- Select your Apple TV, AirPort Express, or AirPlay-enabled speakers or receivers from the list of available devices that appears, and begin playback.
The images of a TV screen or speaker next to each AirPlay device in the AirPlay menu indicate the type of media content you can stream to that device.