iOS: About the Cellular Data setting
Learn about the Cellular Data connection setting on your iPhone or iPad (Cellular Models).
iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular models), iPhone
Cellular data is used for data communication in cellular networks. It does not affect your ability to make or receive phone calls or to use Wi-Fi networks for Internet connectivity. If you turn off cellular data, you will be unable to:
- See the cellular data icons in the status bar (for example, LTE or 3G).
- Send or receive MMS messages. However, you can still send and receive SMS and iMessages if you're connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Retrieve or listen to new Visual Voicemail messages. To retrieve these messages, enable Cellular Data.
- Use Personal Hotspot.
You can adjust this setting by going to:
- iPhone: Settings > General > Cellular
- iPad: Settings > Cellular
You can also enable or disable cellular data for certain iOS features from this setting:
Depending on your carrier and iOS device model, the Enable 3G option may not appear in Cellular settings.