Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) and Mac Pro (all models): Graphics card compatibility between models
Although the Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) and Mac Pro models both use PCI-E (PCI Express) based graphics cards, the cards are not necessarily interchangeable between models. Learn which cards work with each generation of computers.
Note: To identify the graphics card part number, check the label on the back of the card.
Graphics cards for PowerMac G5
- GeForce 6600 LE
- GeForce 6600
- GeForce 7800 GT
- NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 (part number 631-0110)
Graphic cards for Mac Pro (Original)
- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
- ATI Radeon X1900 XT
- NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 (part number 630-7532 or 630-7895)
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (part number 630-9492), offered as an upgrade kit.
Note: The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT card requires at least Mac OS X v10.5.2 with the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 or the computer may not start up properly.
Graphics cards for Mac Pro (Early 2008)
- ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
- NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (part number 630-9191 or 630-9897)
- NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600
- ATI Radeon HD 4870, offered as an upgrade kit
Note: The Radeon HD 4870 card requires Mac OS X v10.5.7 or later for use with the Mac Pro (Early 2008).
Graphics cards for Mac Pro (Early 2009)
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
- ATI Radeon HD 4870
- ATI Radeon HD 5870, offered as an upgrade kit
Note: The radeon HD 5870 card requires Mac OS X v10.6.4 or later and it requires the use of both auxiliary power connections.
Graphics cards for Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
- ATI Radeon HD 5770
- ATI Radeon HD 5870