Set up an Apple ID in iTunes
Learn how to create an Apple ID on your computer or iOS device so that you can shop in the iTunes Store.
To purchase and download from the iTunes Store, you need an Apple ID. If you've used other Apple services such as iCloud, the Mac App Store, or have purchased from the Apple Online Store, you can sign in to the iTunes Store using that same Apple ID.
Before you create a new Apple ID, find out if you already have one. If you don't have an Apple ID, you can create one before you can start using the iTunes Store.
- Open iTunes. If you don't have iTunes, you can download it.
- From the Store menu, choose Create Apple ID.
- Click Continue.
- Click Agree.
- Complete the form to create your free Apple ID. The form includes security questions for your protection, and asks for an optional rescue email address. We recommend providing a rescue email address.
- After you've filled out the form, click Continue.
- If you receive a warning that the email address you entered is already associated with an Apple ID, follow these instructions about using an existing Apple ID instead.
- Provide a valid payment method and billing address. We'll charge you only when you make a purchase.
- Provide the required billing information and click Continue.
- You'll need to verify your email address. Check your email for a verification email from Apple.
- In the verification email you receive from Apple, click the Verify Now link.
- You'll be taken to the Apple ID page to verify your email address.
- Enter your email address and the password you used when you created your Apple ID.
- Click Verify Address.
- From the Home Screen, tap Settings > iTunes & App Stores.
- If an Apple ID is already signed in, tap the Apple ID name, and then tap Sign Out.
- Tap Create New Apple ID.
- Choose the appropriate store by tapping Store, and select the country in which you are located.
- Tap Done to confirm your selection, and then tap Next.
- Tap the Agree button on the bottom-right of the page.
- Tap Agree again when the confirmation appears.
- After you've agreed to the terms and conditions, you'll need to enter an email address and password, and choose three security questions and provide answers to them. The email address you provide will be your new Apple ID. Enter your email address, and then tap Next.
You can also enter an optional rescue email address. We recommend providing a rescue email address.
- If you're trying to create an account using an existing Apple ID, like your iCloud email address, you'll receive a prompt telling you that your email address is already an Apple ID. Simply tap Continue, and then tap Use Existing Account on the following screen.
- Next, you'll be asked to enter your billing information. To choose a different Credit Card type, tap one of the available options, and then tap Done. You will not be charged until you make a purchase.
- After you've filled out all of the fields for your billing information, tap Next.
- You'll then see a screen that says Verify Your Account.
- Tap Done, and check your email for a verification email from Apple. If you need to set up email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, learn how to add an email account to your iOS device.
- Open the email, and tap the Verify Now link enclosed in the email to activate your account.
- You'll be taken to a secure page to enter your Apple ID and password.
- After you've entered your email address and password, tap Verify Address.
To modify or change your account information, such as Apple ID, payment information, or billing address, tap your account name located at the bottom of the page once you're signed in to the iTunes Store. When prompted, tap View Account.
You might be asked to enter your account password again for verification.
To sign out of your iTunes Store account, simply tap your account name at the bottom of the page in the App Store or iTunes Store.
- Use an existing Apple ID with the iTunes Store and Mac App Store
- How to find your Apple ID
- Frequently asked questions about Apple ID
- iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch: Unable to sign in to iTunes Store with AOL screen name
- iTunes Store: How to redeem a code
- iOS: Understanding Restrictions
- iTunes: Using Parental Controls