Archived - AirPort Card: Compatible Macs
This document lists Macs that accept the Apple AirPort Card. Some third-party wireless card compatibility information is also provided.
Warning: The AirPort Extreme Card is not compatible with the following Macs. Attempting to install an AirPort Extreme Card in any of these Macs may damage the Mac and/or the card. For a list of Macs that are compatible with the AirPort Extreme Card, see AirPort Extreme Card: Compatible Macintosh Computers.
Apple AirPort Card
The Apple AirPort Card (Figure 1) can be installed in the following Macs:
- iMac - see this article instead.
- iBook (All models, except G4)
- Power Mac G4 (AGP)
- Power Mac G4 Cube
- Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)
- Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio)
- Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver)
- Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver 2002)
- Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors)
- PowerBook G3 (FireWire)
- PowerBook G4
- PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)
- PowerBook G4 (DVI)
- PowerBook G4 (1 GHz/867 MHz)
- 1. The parenthetical product names iMac (Summer 2000) and iMac (Summer 2001) refer to the summer of the northern hemisphere.
2. A low-cost variant of the iMac (Summer 2000) model computer does not have an AirPort Card slot and thus cannot accept the AirPort Card.
Third-Party Wireless Cards
PowerBook computers that do not have an AirPort Card slot may be able to use a third-party wireless card in the PCMCIA (or "PC") card slot. Check the card vendor's specifications for compatibility information. Mac OS X does not include drivers for certain third-party cards that were included with Mac OS 9. For more information, see Mac OS X, AirPort: Compatible Third-Party Wireless Cards.
Installing AirPort Cards
Click here to search for information on installing an AirPort card.