OS X Mavericks v10.9.1: Repeated prompts to unlock "Local Items" keychain
After logging in, you are repeatedly prompted to unlock the "Local Items" keychain in multiple apps.
Note: This article is about the "Local Items" keychain, not the "Login" keychain. Please see this article for issues with "Login" keychain password.
Follow these steps to prevent prompts to unlock the Local Items keychain.
- In Finder Select Go > Go to folder… (⇧⌘G)
- In the window that appears, type the following:
- Click OK.
- Look for a folder with a name similar to this "A8F5E7B8-CEC1-4479-A7DF-F23CB076C8B8".
Note: Each folder has a unique number.
- Move this folder to the Trash.
- Immediately choose Apple Menu () > Restart… to restart your Mac.
After restarting the computer, a new folder is created in the Keychains folder with a name similar to "4B29A0BB-599D-47FC-A2D1-42B5592B130B". There is no need to repeat the steps in this article, or to delete this folder. The new folder is expected and corrects the symptom described in this article.