iOS: Restore errors 4005, 4013, and 4014
When you try to update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, iTunes may display one of these messages:
- The iPhone [device name] could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4005).
- The iPhone [device name] could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4013).
- The iPhone [device name] could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4014).
This may happen if the device unexpectedly disconnects during the update or restore or iTunes couldn't tell the device to go to the restore state.
Try these steps to resolve the issue:
- Install the latest version of iTunes.
- Restart your computer.
- Make sure your computer is up to date. If an update requires a restart, check for updates again after you restart.
- Restore using another USB cable.
- Restore your device on another computer.
If you continue to see error 4005, 4013, or 4014 when you restore your device, contact Apple for support.