iOS 7: Supervised device becomes unsupervised after updating to iOS 7
Some supervised iOS 6 devices may no longer be supervised after updating to iOS 7.
Users with supervised iOS 6 devices
For devices that have not yet been updated to iOS 7, upgrade from iOS 6 to iOS 7.0.3 over the air. The devices will remain supervised.
Users with unsupervised iOS 7 devices
For devices that have already been upgraded to iOS 7 and lost supervision, AppleCare will create a profile to re-supervise your devices. This profile will require the serial numbers of the affected devices and verification of ownership. To verify that a device is supervised, see this article.
- Collect the serial numbers of affected devices. To export the serial numbers of devices supervised by an Apple Configurator station:
- Go to the Supervise tab.
- In the Supervised Devices list, select either All Devices or a Device Group which contains all the devices that have lost supervision. You can include a device even if you are not sure if it has lost supervision.
- Choose Devices > Export Info....
- Select Device Information and check the box for Serial Number.
- Click Export and save the file.
- Optionally, if you want devices to be able to connect to a specific Apple Configurator station, export a Supervision Certificate. To export a certificate in Apple Configurator version 1.4.1 or later, hold down the Option key and choose File > Export > Supervision Certificate.
- Contact AppleCare and ask to speak to an Enterprise Support Advisor for instructions to submit your serial numbers and any necessary Supervision Certificates. AppleCare will require proof of purchase information if the devices were not purchased directly from Apple.
- AppleCare will validate your proof of purchase information and create a customized Re-supervision Profile for your organization.
- Update your devices to iOS 7.0.3.
- When you receive the Re-supervision Profile, install it on your devices using the enclosed instructions.
After the necessary profiles are installed on your iOS devices, they will again be supervised.
- Supervision Certificate A certificate that identifies your Apple Configurator station to an iOS device.
- Supervision Profile A profile created by Apple Configurator used to supervise iOS 6 devices.
- Re-supervision Profile A custom, Apple-signed profile used to re-supervise specific devices that lost supervision upon upgrading to iOS 7.