If your voice is too faint or sounds unclear using iPhone, or iPod touch
You might experience one of these issues when you're on a call, using FaceTime, or playing recorded audio using your iPhone or iPod touch:
- People can't hear you during a phone or FaceTime call
- People complain that you sound unclear during a phone or FaceTime call
- When playing back recorded audio, the sound you hear is unclear, or you hear no sound at all
Test the microphone
To find out if there is an issue with the microphone itself—and not the app you're using or your cellular connection—test the microphone with the built-in Voice Memos app. Speak into the microphone and then play back the recording. You should be able to hear your voice clearly.
Fix common issues
Follow these steps, testing after each with Voice Memos.
- Unplug anything plugged into the headset jack.
- If you're on a call and holding your phone next to your ear, speak into the microphone and make sure you don't block it with your fingers or shoulder.
- If you're using a screen protector or case that covers the microphone, remove it. Clear any debris from the microphones.
- Restart your device.
- Update to the latest version of iOS.
If you've tried these steps and people still can't hear you well on calls, contact Apple Support.