iPhone: No sound or distorted sound from speaker
You may hear no sound, or distorted, muffled, staticky, or crackling sound during call or when using iPhone's built-in speaker.
In some cases, you may not see a volume slider in apps or Control Center, or no volume bars when you adjust volume with buttons.
|In Control Center||When adjusting volume|
These pictures will help you to locate your iPhone's built-in speaker:
iPhone 5 and later:
iPhone 4 and 4S:
iPhone 3GS and earlier:
- Verify that the volume is set to a level you would normally be able to hear.
- Ensure that there is nothing plugged in to the headset jack or the dock connector.
- If the iPhone is in a protective case, make sure that the speaker port isn't blocked by the case.
- Make sure that the speaker and dock port aren't clogged with debris. If necessary, clean it with a clean, small, dry, soft-bristled brush. Carefully and gently brush away any debris.
- If an audio issue occurs when using a specific application, try testing other applications to see if the issue persists.
- If the iPhone is paired with a Bluetooth headset or car kit:
- Try turning off Bluetooth.
- If you experience difficulties with the Bluetooth feature, follow these troubleshooting steps.
- Restart the iPhone.
- If restarting doesn't fix the issue, ensure that your iPhone is updated to the latest version of iOS.
- If the issue is not resolved, please contact Apple Support.
Learn more about troubleshooting iPhone hardware issues.