OS X: Password may not be accepted after changing user's full name
In OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, if the user who is currently logged in changes their full name in the Users & Group pane of System Preferences and the system is configured to require a password after sleep or after the screen saver begins, the user's password may not be accepted when waking the Mac from sleep or exiting the screen saver.
If the screen that appears when waking from sleep or exiting the screen saver shows the user's previous full name, and the correct password is not being accepted, use these steps:
OS X Mountain Lion
Download and install OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.4 or later to prevent this behavior from occurring.
If you're not ready to update, you can use this workaround in OS X Mountain Lion v10.8 through v10.8.3.
- Hold the Option key while pressing Return. This will display the Name and Password fields.
- Type the user's current full name or account name into the Name field.
- Type the user's password into the Password field.
- Press Return.
OS X Lion
- Hold the Option key while pressing Return to update the user's full name that is shown.
- Type the user's password.
- Press Return.
After you have unlocked the screen with these steps, the correct name will be shown on subsequent attempts to wake the computer or exit the screen saver (until the next time the user's full name is changed).
You can avoid this behavior by immediately logging out and logging back in after changing the full name of the logged-in user.