iPhone: Troubleshooting voicemail
When setting up or accessing voicemail on iPhone, you may experience one of the following issues:
- When tapping the Voicemail button, iPhone calls voicemail instead of displaying the Visual Voicemail list
- Duplicate or multiple copies of a voicemail message appear
- When tapping a voicemail message to listen to it, nothing happens
- You are not alerted that you have a new voicemail message
- A caller is not given the option to leave a voicemail message
Follow these steps to troubleshoot voicemail issues on your iPhone:
- Restart your iPhone.
- Check for a carrier settings update.
- Update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS.
- Ensure that your voice mailbox is set up properly. You can verify this by dialing your phone number from your iPhone.
- Make sure that you have a good cellular network connection. You can verify this by seeing whether you can make an outgoing call.
- Call your iPhone from another phone and attempt to leave yourself a voicemail.
- Reset your network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
- Contact your carrier and ensure your iPhone is properly configured with the voicemail feature on your plan.
Note: Inserting a new SIM card in your iPhone may cause the existing Visual Voicemails that are saved on your iPhone to be deleted.
For more information about voicemail on iPhone, use the following resources: