iPhone: Troubleshooting No Service
Your iPhone might have one of these symptoms:
- iPhone displays "No Service" in an area of good coverage
- iPhone doesn't regain service when returning to an area of coverage
- iPhone displays "Searching" in the status bar, and when you go to Settings > General > About, Modem Firmware is blank
If you encounter any of the above symptoms on your iPhone, follow these steps to try to resolve the issue. Test after each step.
- Toggle airplane mode: Tap Settings > Enable Airplane Mode, wait five seconds, then turn off airplane mode.
- Turn your iPhone off, then on again.
- Remove the SIM card and verify that it's a valid, carrier-manufactured SIM. Also verify that it isn't damaged, worn, or modified. Then reinsert it.
- Check for a carrier-settings update. Connect to a Wi-Fi network. Then tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, iOS will ask you if you want to install it. If Wi-Fi isn't available, connect your device to iTunes.
- Update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS.
- Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will reset all network settings, including Bluetooth pairing records, Wi-Fi passwords, VPN, and APN settings.
- Restore the iPhone.
If you're outside the United States, please also follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Carrier > Automatic.
If the phone registers any carrier network, Settings > Carrier will be present.
- If the Carrier option is missing in Settings and you're outside of the Unites States, please contact Apple for support and service options.
- Set the option for Automatic to off.
A list of potentially available carriers appears after about two minutes. If the device is locked to a carrier, it may connect only to the carrier network to which it is locked. If the device displays carrier networks, then the device is working as expected.
- Set Settings > Carrier > Automatic back to on.
If you're still experiencing No Service issues, contact your carrier to check for any network or account issues that could cause these symptoms.