Apple EarPods: Low or muffled sound
Learn what to do if the sound through your Apple EarPods seems low or muffled, either on a call or while playing music.
- Check the volume setting on your iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac.
- Check that the meshes in the earbud holes are free of lint or other debris.
- If any of the meshes in the earbud appear to be clogged, use a clean, small, dry, soft-bristled brush to clean them. Use the brush to carefully and gently brush all openings.
Also see this article: Apple EarPods: Getting the optimal bass response while using an iOS device.
Avoid hearing loss
Warning: Permanent hearing loss may occur if you use headphones at a high volume. You can adapt over time to a higher volume of sound, which may sound normal but can be damaging to your hearing. Set the volume to a safe level before that happens. If you experience ringing in your ears or speech sounds muffled, reduce the volume or discontinue use of your headphones and have your hearing checked. The louder the volume, the less time is required before your hearing could be affected. Hearing experts suggest that to protect your hearing:
- Limit the amount of time you use headphones at high volume.
- Avoid turning up the volume to block out noisy surroundings.
- Turn the volume down if you can’t hear people speaking near you.