Archived - Troubleshooting Messages Beta
Learn how to troubleshoot certain issues that you may experience with Messages Beta in OS X Lion.
Can I uninstall Messages Beta and reinstall iChat in Lion?
When you install Messages Beta, it replaces iChat in OS X Lion. If you want to remove Messages Beta and reinstall iChat, follow these steps:
- From the Messages application menu, choose Uninstall Messages Beta….
- A dialog will appear, asking you to confirm uninstallation of Messages Beta and reinstallation of iChat. Verify that you wish to do this.
- Restart your Mac when prompted.
How do I set up my Mac and iOS devices for iMessage conversations?
iMessage conversations in Messages can be sent from or received on any iMessage-capable device.
- To use Messages Beta on your Mac, first update to OS X Lion v10.7.3 or later if you have not yet.
- Set your iOS devices and your Mac so your Apple ID is your "Caller ID" (that is, the same Apple ID on all devices and your Mac).
To set the Caller ID on iOS devices, see this article.
To set the Caller ID on Messages for OS X:
- In the Messages application, choose Messages > Preferences.
- Under the Accounts tab, select the desired account.
- If you see a "Caller ID" pop-up menu, set it to your Apple ID. Note: You will see this menu only if you have added an alias to your Apple ID.
Conversations aren't being shared on all my devices. What can I do?
If you have an iPhone whose conversations aren’t being shared with your other devices, you are most likely sending and receiving iMessages with your iPhone's phone number. iMessages need to be sent and received with the same email address(es) configured on your other devices.
To check this on your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Receive At. Tap “Use your Apple ID for iMessage” to sign in and configure your iPhone the same way as your Mac and any other devices.
What if I have an issue with my Apple ID?
See the section titled "If you still can't send or receive iMessages" in this article.
You can check the profile settings for your Apple ID and reset your password (if needed) by visiting https://appleid.apple.com/.
What support options are available for Messages Beta?
Consult the Help menu in Messages or related online documentation for issues you may encounter.