iOS: Issues correcting photo orientation on Windows
Windows, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch
When importing photos and videos from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a Windows computer, some photos and videos may appear to be rotated incorrectly. When attempting to correct this orientation in Windows Photo Viewer or Windows Photo Gallery, one of the following error messages may appear:
- "This picture can't be saved because of a problem with the picture's file properties."
- "Windows Photo Viewer can't save the changes to this picture because there's a problem with the picture's file properties."
Install all available software updates for your device.
For original iPad and iPod touch (3rd generation)
- Open the image with Microsoft Paint. Save the image again as a .JPG file by choosing File > Save As…
- Note: For Windows Vista and Windows 7, the File menu will look like this: .
- You may then edit the new .JPG file normally.
Alternatively, some third-party photo-management software for Windows may be able to rotate and edit these photos without errors.
Some third-party photo-management software for Windows displays iOS photos with the correct orientation without having to rotate the images.
For best results, import photos using the Scanner and Camera Wizard (for Windows XP) or Import Pictures and Videos application (for Windows Vista and Windows 7). If you wish, you may then use your choice of software to manage and edit your photos. For more information about importing photos to Windows, see iOS: Importing personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer.