Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Issues updating via the Mac App Store
In some cases, the Mac App Store may not offer updates for Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, or Compressor 4, or may present an alert during installation.
Important: Before attempting any steps below, ensure that your computer, operating system, and specifically your graphics card meet the system requirements for the current version of Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, or Compressor 4.
- View the list of Graphics cards that do not meet system requirements. Even if your current graphics card is working with Final Cut Pro X, review the list before updating the version of the app(s) that you currently have installed.
- If you have a backup or additional copy of Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, or Compressor 4 on a mounted disk partition or connected external drive, this can cause unexpected results. If this is the case, the applications may not install when you attempt to update or install them from the Mac App Store. Unmount or eject other partitions or locations (such as Time Machine backup volumes) that may contain a copy of the application(s) before installing or updating.
If an update to Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, or Compressor 4 does not appear in the list of available updates in the Mac App Store:
- Quit the App Store.
- Drag the currently installed Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, or Compressor 4 application from the Applications folder to the Trash.
Note: If you would like to make a backup of the application(s) you currently have installed, see the "Backing up the Final Cut Pro X application" section of Final Cut Pro X: Best practices for updating.
- Choose Finder > Empty Trash to delete the application from your system.
- Open the App Store.
- Click the Purchases button in the toolbar.
- Click Install next to the appropriate application to install the currently available version.
Note: This will not delete or affect your Projects or Events. However, this will permanently delete anything you have stored in the Trash.
Note: If you don't see the app you need to install listed in the Purchases section of the Mac App Store you may have hidden it. See Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases for more information.