iPhone: Troubleshooting activation issues
Your iPhone may display one of the following messages when you attempt to activate it:
- "Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable."
- "The iPhone is not recognized and cannot be activated for service."
- "iTunes was unable to verify your device."
Perform the following steps if you receive one of the messages above:
- Restart the iPhone.
- Try another means of reaching the activation server and attempt to activate.
- Try connecting to Wi-Fi if you're unable to activate using a cellular data connection.
- Try connecting to iTunes if you're unable to activate using Wi-Fi.
- Restore the iPhone.
If you receive an alert message when you attempt to activate your iPhone, try to place the iPhone in recovery mode and perform a restore. If you're still unable to complete the setup assistant due to an activation error, contact Apple for assistance.