iPhone: Troubleshooting activation issues
Your iPhone may display one of the following messages when you attempt to activate it:
- "Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable."
- "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported"
- "The iPhone is not recognized and cannot be activated for service."
- "iTunes was unable to verify your device."
Perform the following steps if you receive one of the messages above:
- Restart the iPhone.
- Try another means of reaching the activation server and attempt to activate.
- Try connecting to a known-good Wi-Fi network if you're unable to activate using a cellular data connection.
- Try connecting to iTunes if you're unable to activate using Wi-Fi.
- Restore the iPhone.
If you receive an alert message when you attempt to activate your iPhone, try to place the iPhone in recovery mode and perform a restore. If you're still unable to complete the setup assistant due to an activation error, contact Apple for assistance.
If you are asked to enter a password to proceed with activating the iPhone, Activation Lock may be enabled as part of Find my iPhone.