iPad: Onscreen keyboard does not appear when expected
If you've recently used iPad with a wireless keyboard, you may find that the onscreen keyboard will not appear. This can include:
- Tapping on a text-entry field in a webpage
- Tapping to enter a URL in Safari
- Typing in Notes or Mail
When this occurs, it may indicate the wireless keyboard is still connected or has paired again with the iPad.
If you want to display the onscreen keyboard while using a wireless keyboard, tap the Eject key on the wireless keyboard.
You can determine if iPad is paired with your wireless keyboard by checking the status bar. If you see that the Bluetooth icon is bold, iPad is connected to a Bluetooth device. Try one of the following steps to resolve the issue:
- Locate and turn off the wireless keyboard.
- Turn off Bluetooth by activating Control Center and selecting the Bluetooth icon or going to Settings > Bluetooth.
- Unpair the device by tapping Settings > Bluetooth > Forget this Device.
If the issue persists, try restarting your iPad.