iOS: Gmail account will not connect to Gmail server
If you cannot receive or send email with a Gmail account set up on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you may experience the following errors:
- When checking for new mail, this error appears: "Cannot Get Mail. The connection to the server 'imap.gmail.com' failed."
- When trying to send mail, this error appears: "Cannot Send Mail. The connection to the server 'smtp.gmail.com' failed."
- When trying to send or receive mail, this error appears: "The username or password for [account] is incorrect."
- If the account is removed and added again to the device, this error appears: "Could not connect using SSL. Would you like to try setting up the account without SSL?" Saying yes to this message repeatedly will result in a message saying "Cannot Get Mail. The connection to the server 'imap.gmail.com' failed."
- Check that your device is connected to the Internet by opening Safari and loading a webpage, such as google.com. If you cannot connect to the Internet, try the steps in this article.
- If you have other email accounts on the device, check if those accounts can send and receive email.
- If the issue is isolated only to the affected Gmail account, visit this website: https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha.
Complete the form to unlock the account.
- If the issue persists, follow this Google support article.
- Once the account has been unlocked, or the correct password entered, check that the issue is resolved. If not, remove the affected Gmail account from the device and add it to the device again: Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars > Add Account > Gmail.
If the issue persists after following the above steps and your Gmail account is checked by more than one device or computer, get more information about this issue.
If the issue persists, consult Gmail's support site. These articles may help: