Archived - Mac OS X Server v10.6: "Invalid serial number" or "A keychain cannot be found" alert with multiple network interfaces
On a Mac OS X Server v10.6-based server with multiple network interfaces, Server Assistant or Server Admin may report that a duplicate serial number is in use, or Server Assistant may report "A keychain cannot be found to store userid" during setup.
Affected configurations include:
- Mac mini (Late 2009) with Mac OS X Server which has both Ethernet and Airport active on the same network
- A server that provides services to multiple subnets for DHCP, NetBoot, or Gateway (NAT)
- A server that is an Xsan controller or client
- A server with a bonded Ethernet port
- A server using third-party virtualization software
Note: If you encounter this issue in Mac OS X Server v10.6.3, install the Mac OS X v10.6.3 Supplemental Update, which is available via Software Update.
If you encounter this alert in Server Assistant, disconnect all but one of the network interfaces, then enter your Server serial number. Proceed to the next pane of the Assistant and reconnect the additional interface(s). After completing setup, update to Mac OS X Server v10.6.1 as described above.