iPhone (United States): Incorrect phone number in iTunes or 'SIM does not match' message on iPhone screen during activation
In certain situations, you may encounter one of these messages when you attempt to activate your iPhone:
- The iPhone displays, "The SIM card in your iPhone does not match the SIM card associated with your account."
- The phone number displayed in iTunes doesn’t match the one that you want to activate.
- The iPhone displays, "Confirm Your Phone Number" and an unexpected phone number.
The telephone number displayed in iTunes and the iPhone matches the number that was used at the time of purchase.
If you have an account with multiple phone lines and you wish to use the iPhone with another telephone number on the same account, do the following:
iPhone (AT&T and Verizon): Transferring service
- Use the SIM card included with your new iPhone to complete activation. Verify that you are using the SIM card that came with the iPhone.
Note: iPhone and iPad SIM cards are not interchangeable.
- Complete your activation using the telephone number and account information that you entered when you ordered the iPhone.
- Get two new SIM cards from your carrier. You cannot reuse the SIM card in your new iPhone or the SIM card in the phone from which you wish to transfer.
- When you have new SIM cards for your phones, contact your carrier to request that service be transferred between the devices. Do not contact the carrier before completing activation of the new iPhone. Account changes during the activation process could prevent activation from completing successfully.
iPhone (all other carriers): Transferring service
- Complete your activation in iTunes using the telephone number and account information that you entered when you ordered the iPhone.
- After completing the activation in iTunes, contact your carrier to transfer the service between the devices. Do not contact the carrier until the activation has been completed, since changing the account before it is activated could prevent activation from completing successfully.