iTunes Store: "An unknown error occurred (-9808)"
iTunes, iTunes Store
When you try to connect to the iTunes Store you may receive the alert message "We could not complete your iTunes Store request. An unknown error occurred (-9808). There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later."
Follow the steps below to troubleshoot this issue.
Set the correct date & time:
- On Windows:
- Click Start and then click Control Panel.
- Click "Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options" and then click Date and Time.
- Click the Date & Time tab.
- Make sure that the date and time settings are configured to use the current date and time and then click OK.
- On Mac OS X:
- From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
- In System Preferences, click Date & Time.
- Enable the option to "Set date and time automatically" if it is not.
- Click the Time Zone tab and adjust the time zone to match your current location.
Adjust your certificate settings:
Mac OS X:
- From the Finder, in the Go menu, choose Utilities.
- Open Keychain Access.
- From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
- Click on the Certificates tab.
- Choose Off under Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP)
- Choose Off under Certificate Revocation List (CRL).
- Restart your Mac.
- Go to the Start menu and choose Control Panel.
- Select Internet Options.
Note: If you are using Windows Vista you may need to select Classic View on the left before you can see Internet Options.
Note: If you are using WIndows 7 you may need to change "View by" to either Large icons or Small icons before you can see Internet Options.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- In the Settings box, scroll down to the Security section.
- Deselect the option to "Check for server certificate revocation (requires restart)."
- Select the options for "SSL 3.0" and "TLS 1.0."
- Apply the changes and restart your computer.
If the issue persists, or the changes made to Internet Options revert after restarting your PC, then the issue is likely caused by out of date or incorrectly configured security software. Follow the steps in iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues to resolve the issue.