Troubleshooting iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch accessories
If you are having issues with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch accessory, try the troubleshooting steps in this article.
The first step in troubleshooting any accessory is to determine whether the accessory is compatible with the device. If the accessory is available on the Apple Online Store, see if your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch model is listed.
If your accessory uses the 30-pin connector, you may be able to connect it to your device using the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter or Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (0.2 m).
Note: Some accessories may have limited compatibility. See About iPhone and iPod Accessories or About iPad Accessories for more information. Some accessories that have a charging capability may not charge iOS devices if they use FireWire instead of USB to charge.
2. Latest Software Version
Note: If the device does not update successfully, the issue may be with device and not with the accessory. See one of the following articles, depending on your device:
3. Disconnect and Restart
Isolate the issue to the accessory, if possible. Or, if available, try to reproduce the issue with another identical or similar accessory.
- If there is static coming from the left audio channel when using headphones, try connecting the headphones to a stereo, or try connecting a different set of headphones to the device.
- If the device is not syncing when connected to the dock, try connecting it directly to the computer using the Dock Connector to USB Cable, or try another USB port.
5. Search the Knowledge Base
Search Knowledge Base for any articles about this accessory. Use the name of the accessory as your keyword in quotation marks:
- "iPhone Dock"
- "Bluetooth Headset"
- "Stereo Headset"
- "Earphones with Remote and Mic"
- "In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic"
- "iPad Keyboard Dock"
6. Restore iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Restore iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to its factory default state. You should rarely need to use this step with an accessory issue. If the issue only affects a third-party accessory, contact the manufacturer before restoring the device.
If playback does not resume automatically after switching applications or making or receiving calls, please resume playback using either the accessory or your iOS device.