Archived - MainStage 2.1.3: Release notes
MainStage 2.1.3 is an update to MainStage 2, which is part of the paid upgrade to Logic Studio (2009).
For more information about the application please visit www.apple.com/logicstudio/mainstage.
Important for all MainStage 2 users using computers with i5 or i7 processors
If you are using MainStage 2 on a computer with an i5 or i7 CPU, it is highly recommended that you update to Mac OS X v10.6.5 or later. Mac OS X v10.6.5 contains several kernel level enhancements that improve MainStage performance on these computers.
MainStage 2.1.3 Update
This update offers Mac OS X Lion compatibility, improves overall performance, and provides numerous fixes. This update is recommended for all users of MainStage 2. Issues addressed include but are not limited to:
MIDI Processing Issues
- The Patch List no longer lags behind the Workspace in response to rapid bursts of incoming patch change commands.
- MIDI messages on channels other than channel 1 are now properly routed to multitimbral software instruments.
- MainStage now properly displays factory presets for third-party Audio Unit plug-ins.
- Fixes an issue which caused MainStage treat multiple keyboards of the same model as a single keyboard.
- Fixes an issue in which MainStage did not respond to Concert download requests from the VAX77 keyboard.
- Improves compatibility with Native Instruments plug-ins configured to use multiple outputs.
- Fixes several issues that sometimes lead to MainStage quitting unexpectedly when closing a concert.
- The template browser no longer becomes unresponsive after deleting a user-created MainStage template in the Finder.
- Resolves an issue in which MainStage might become unresponsive when Undo was performed after deleting several patches.
- MainStage no longer quits unexpectedly if the Tru-Tape Delay pedal time setting in the Pedalboard is at its maximum value at very slow tempos.
- Performance and stability are improved when switching between software instrument patches.
- Resolves an issue in which dense clusters of incoming MIDI events might cause MainStage to quit unexpectedly under some circumstances.
- The value displayed in the Layer Display Height Inspector control is now properly updated after Undo or Redo.
- Resolves an issue introduced in MainStage 2.1 that sometimes set the send values on certain channel strips incorrectly when patches were imported.
- Undo now works correctly after a channel strip is cut from a patch and pasted at the Set level.
- Fixes an issue introduced in MainStage 2.1 that prevented parameters from being mapped to screen controls in alias patches.
- Resolves an issue in which the polyphony set in patches containing ES2 was not always saved properly.
- Fixes an issue on multi-mapped objects in which the Momentary checkbox had no effect if set for the first mapping.
- Mapping multiple Pedalboard Sync parameters to a single screen control now works properly.
- Fixes an issue that stopped the Delete key from deleting mappings from the Mappings tab on the Screen Control Inspector.
- The "Send to All > Transpose Octave Up" and "Send to All > Transpose Octave Down" mappings now work correctly in patches with multiple channel strips.
MainStage 2.1.2 Update
This update improves overall performance and provides numerous fixes. This update is recommended for all users of MainStage 2. Issues addressed include but are not limited to:
MIDI Processing Issues
- Several issues with pitch bend message processing introduced in MainStage 2.1.1 are resolved.
- Fixes an issue in which importing a layout created in MainStage 1 might lead to loss of audio in a patch if an expression pedal (MIDI CC#11) is used.
- A sustain off message sent after switching patches is now properly routed to the previous patch in concerts where no sustain pedal screen control exists in the workspace.
- Fixes an issue in MainStage 2.1.1 where activating the Start Sending MIDI Clock setting on External Instruments did not send MIDI clock.
Playback Plug-in Issues
- Playback displays the last used directory within the Import Audio File dialog.
- Grouped instances of the Playback plug-in now reliably remain in sync when jumping from one marker to another.
- There are no longer clicks and pops in audio in the Playback plug-in when jumping to markers while playing in Relative Position mode.
- The Playback plug-in no longer stops when the Next Marker command is used with Snap To set to “Marker.”
- The timing of the Playback plug-in is improved when the Slicing flex mode is used and the tempo is lowered.
- Setting the Playback plug-in to the Polyphonic flex mode no longer affects the audio if the tempo of the loaded audio file and the current tempo of MainStage identical.
- Pitch adjustments while playing in the Playback plug-in no longer cause clicks or pops in the audio.
- The Playback plug-in now reliably changes play speed if tempo is changed either by changing to a patch with a different tempo, or by receiving external tempo changes.
- Audio no longer drops out in the Playback plug-in when the pitch is adjusted during playback.
- The Playback plug-in now maintains accurate timing when the Speed flex mode is used.
- The Rhythmic flex mode in the Playback plug-in no longer adds pops and clicks.
- Includes support for various MIDI controllers, including Infinite Response VAX77, Roland/Cakewalk A-800PRO, Roland/Cakewalk A-500S, M-Audio Oxygen 49, M-Audio Oxygen 25, M-Audio Keystation 61es, M-Audio KeyRig 49, Akai LPD8, Akai LPK25.
- Resolves an issue in MainStage 2.1.1 in which a screen control mapped to Level or Input Level with its On Patch Change attribute set to “Match” would cause MainStage to quit unexpectedly.
- MainStage no longer quits unexpectedly when patches are chosen in quick succession from the patch browser.
- MainStage no longer stops responding when the font size is adjusted for a screen control.
- Resolves an issue where MainStage might quit unexpectedly under heavy loads when Playback reached a cycle point.
- Resolves an issue where the sound from a previous patch sometimes remained active when switching to a new patch, after using the Tuner.
- The View > Inspectors and View > Channel Strips menu items and key commands are now properly disabled in Performance and Layout Modes.
- The Parameter Transform graph editor now reliably stays open for all parameters at the concert level.
- The position indicator on the parameter curve graph now updates in real time when expression, pan, or send level are adjusted from a channel strip control.
- Resolves an issue in which a mapping was sometimes not editable in concerts imported from MainStage 1.
- The accuracy of tempo detection has been improved for Tap Tempo.
- Resolves an issue in which an onscreen slider would sometimes move in the opposite direction when dragged. This happened if it was mapped to certain actions at the concert level, and the Invert Parameter Range box was checked.
- Assigned Relative controls no longer jump after a patch change.
- Resolves an issue where images inserted into MainStage 1 concerts could not be edited when opened in MainStage 2.
MainStage 2.1.1 Update
This update improves overall performance and provides numerous fixes. This update is recommended for all users of MainStage 2. Issues addressed include but are not limited to:
64-bit Mode Issues
- It is now possible to run FXPansion's BFD2 plug-in in the 32-bit Audio Unit Bridge.
- Fixes several issues with the graphical user interface and controls of third party Audio Units running in the 32-bit Audio Unit Bridge.
- In 64-bit mode, a 32-bit Audio Unit plug-in quitting unexpectedly no longer causes MainStage to also quit unexpectedly.
- Working with multiple concerts with open plug-in windows no longer causes MainStage to sometimes quit unexpectedly.
- MainStage no longer quits unexpectedly if a Patch increment button is assigned to a sustain pedal, and MainStage is switched from Layout mode to Edit mode while receiving continuous sustain messages.
- Resolves an issue that could cause MainStage to quit unexpectedly when removing or changing an audio device.
- Resolves an issue that could cause loss of audio output when “Display audio engine overload” messages were enabled.
- Resolves an issue that could cause an unexpected sound when rapidly switching patches in a concert that contains more than one multi-output Ultrabeat instance.
- Duplicate MIDI events no longer sometimes lead to stuck notes.
- Resolves an issue that could cause MainStage to stop responding when simultaneously adjusting parameters for multiple controls.
- Resolves an issue where MainStage could stop responding when opening an auto-saved copy of an already open concert.
- Sustain pedal events with values between 1-126 no longer cause multiple triggering of mapped actions.
- Switching out of Layout mode while sending a note to a drum pad screen control no longer results in stuck notes.
- Drum pads now correctly display all parameter values.
- “Do not pass through” now works as expected with screen controls set to send to a specific MIDI destination.
- The Keyboard window now sends MIDI notes with velocity values of 100, as expected.
- The Layer Editor for external MIDI instruments is available again.
- Resolves an issue in which there could sometimes be audio "pops" when auditioning patches while notes are sustaining.
- Keyboard assignments are now reliably maintained for non-auto assigned keyboards when opening concerts created in MainStage 1.x.
- The right arrow for setting the high range in the Parameter Graph for mapped knobs now works as expected.
- The screen no longer flashes if a second concert is opened while a plug-in window is open, and Do Not Close is chosen for the original concert.
- Resolves an issue introduced in MainStage 2.1 that could lead to an accidental overlap of split points.
- Resolves an issue in which the left side key range of a split made no sound in some rare cases.
- MIDI note-off events are no longer handled as MIDI note-on events with a velocity of 0.
- Velocity scaling is now correctly performed with drum pads.
- The workspace aspect ratio now immediately updates to follow changes to the Layout mode aspect ratio.
- Using pitch bend on the Musical Typing Keyboard no longer causes a constant stream of erroneous pitch bend messages to be sent.
- The vertical scroll bar controls in the Template Chooser grid view now remain fully functional at all zoom levels.
- The items in the Help menu now remain available when the Template Chooser is open.
- If the preference for Silence Previous Patch is set to “Immediately,” MainStage no longer plays back unexpected segments of audio when switching away from and then back to a Software Instrument patch that has a plug-in with a long decay.
- Pickup mode no longer behaves like Jump mode when assigning a hardware control that is at a higher initial value than selected screen control.
- Waveform screen control mappings are now reliably maintained when the sample rate is changed.
- The Screen Control Inspector now properly shows the status of the Mod Wheel control when reselecting it after it has been set to Block, and then another screen control has been selected.
- Meter screen controls now follow changes to channel strips that change between mono/stereo.
- Number keys mapped to commands now reliably trigger the commands instead of patch changes in Edit mode and Performance mode.
- The Current Set action now reliably recalls a specific set when the min and max ranges are set to the same set name.
- The Current Patch action now works reliably when the Invert checkbox is selected.
- Range settings are reliably maintained for the Current Patch Number action.
- The Range pop-up for Current Patch Number mappings no longer show duplicate values.
- Undo after changing a mapping and then deleting a pedal from the Pedalboard now works as expected.
- Mappings of alias patches are now handled correctly when a plug-in on the parent patch is changed.
- Resolves a rare issue where the Play button on the Loopback and Playback plug-in could remain lit with playback stopped.
- Resolves an issue that prevented a file that had been loaded and then removed in the Playback plug-in from being loaded again.
- If files containing tempo changes are imported into Playback, the following warning only appears once per session: “File contains tempo changes. One or more of the files you are importing contains tempo change markers. This version of MainStage does not support importing files with tempo changes.”
- The Position field in the Loopback GUI now reliably displays all positions at all loop lengths.
- After using Undo to remove previous recordings in the Loopback plug-in, recording a loop that crosses the cycle point no longer removes a portion of the loop.
- Using Undo to remove a take in the Loopback plug-in no longer removes crossfades at the cycle point.
- In the Loopback plug-in, Fade-out now works properly when applied to an overdub performed over reversed material.
- Resolves an issue in which enabling Reset to Saved could lead to recording in Loopback starting automatically when a concert was opened.
- Resolves an issue in the Loopback plug-in where immediately triggering a Software instrument after going into record could cause an unexpected sound.
MainStage 2.1 Update
This update improves overall performance and provides numerous fixes. This update is recommended for all users of MainStage 2.
- An issue where Pressing Command-N to create a new concert could lead to MainStage quitting unexpectedly while the Save dialog was open for a previously loaded concert is resolved.
- An issue that sometimes led to MainStage quitting unexpectedly when closing a concert or quitting MainStage is resolved.
- An issue in which the Invert checkbox for mapping ranges could be unexpectedly enabled in a concert where the minimum mapping range was set, but the maximum was not altered is resolved.
- An issue where CPU usage was initially higher than expected when loading some concerts created in MainStage 1 is resolved.
- Importing patches from a concert whose layout contains more keyboard screen controls than the current concert no longer sometimes leads to incomplete display of settings in the Channel Strip Inspector.
- An issue that lead the the name in the Mixer to fail to update when renaming an alias of a channel strip is resolved.
- An issue where changes made to MIDI Out parameters on an external channel strip were not immediately displayed in an alias is resolved.
- The screen display of an expression pedal in an alias patch now moves correctly in response to incoming data.
- The number of sends shown on channel strips now immediately updates as expected after cut, copy, or paste of channel strips.
- An issue that prevented mapping a screen control to the mute parameter on Bus 8 is resolved.
- An issue where it was not possible to return audio from an Aux higher than Aux 8 is resolved.
- Sends no longer sometimes lose settings when patches are imported, copied, cut, and pasted.
- Polyphonic aftertouch is now sent to external instruments as expected.
- Polyphonic aftertouch sent to software instruments no longer causes unexpected parameter changes.
- Dragging an audio file into an empty patch now creates a channel strip with a Playback plug-in instantiated, as expected.
- An issue that prevented EVB3 drawbars in the workspace from correctly updating when MIDI to Preset Key was enabled, and a new preset was triggered via MIDI, is resolved.
- An issue that prevented screen controls from updating properly in response to CC7 and CC10 messages is resolved.
- Mapping to Solo now works properly with hardware buttons that send single MIDI values.
- Changing a Send All mapping from a channel strip directly to a MIDI mapping now works correctly.
- Grouped buttons now update correctly with the send level parameter.
- Mappings are no longer sometimes lost when importing layouts and patches exported from MainStage 1.x.
- Reset to Saved Value now works reliably when changing patches.
- MainStage no longer intermittently stops responding when choosing Undo after deleting patches.
- An issue that prevented Keyboard objects from sending to all channels of a multitimbral external instrument is resolved.
- Inputting notes while auditioning patches no longer sometimes causes MainStage to sometimes unexpectedly quit.
- The I/O plug-in now works correctly on channel strips with "no input" selected.
- MIDI input now works reliably with grouped keyboard controls.
- The alert dialog "The document 'Untitled Concert' could not be saved as '2'" no longer appears when saving a concert with a long file name.
- An issue that prevented Apple Remote from working as expected in Full Screen mode with Mac OS X v10.6.2 is resolved.
- Setting preferences when there is no concert open now works as expected.
- Parameter tabs now maintain a consistent order for multimapped parameters in duplicated patches.
- Changes to "send Program change" and "send Bank change" in patches are now reliably saved.
- Recordings in Loopback are now reliably maintained when Play on patch change is used while the transport is running with "Snap to:" set to "Bar/Beat."
- Count-in now starts immediately on play in the Loopback and Playback plug-ins.
- Setting a Loopback and Playback plug-in the same group and then recording to the Loopback no longer causes MainStage to quit unexpectedly.
- Issues that sometimes caused the metronome to drift out of sync with the Playback and Loopback plug-ins are resolved.
- MainStage remains responsive when making tempo adjustments in concerts that contain multiple instances of the Loopback plug-in with sync enabled.
- The "Start with Play Action" command now reliably triggers all instances of Playback and Loopback in a group.
- An issue that sometimes caused a small section of unexpected audio to sound when switching to a patch with Playback that had previously been stopped with the "instantly silence previous patch" command is resolved.
- The "Begin Finding Patch in Performance" key command now works properly with patches whose names start with numbers.
- Using the Undo command after deleting an object that is a member of a group in the workspace now correctly maintains the object's group membership.
- Control labels are now correctly displayed when switching from full screen view to layout view.
- An issue that caused the workspace in layout view to be invisible when remote connecting to a computer running MainStage with no display connected is resolved.
- An issue that caused objects to become ungrouped when dragging them from the palette to the workspace is resolved.
MainStage 2.0.1 Update
This update improves overall performance and provides numerous fixes and enhancements, especially to Loopback and Playback plug-ins. This update is recommended for all users of Mainstage 2.
Issues addressed include (but are not limited to):
- The memory usage display is now more accurate and shows MainStage and total system memory combined.
- Feedback protection is now disabled if not in use resulting in a significant CPU performance improvement for audio channels.
- The Reverse option for Loopback now behaves consistently.
- Pitchbend is now transmitted properly to external instruments.
- The I/O plug-in is now available in Mainstage.
- Loopback can now be started by a Play action.
- Loopback now has an option to transfer its tempo information to the Concert when its Sync option is disabled, and it derives its tempo from the first recorded loop.
- The Post-Pan option is now available for channel strip Sends.
- MIDI out is improved to make it possible to send program changes via Mapping, and to allow MIDI Start/Stop/Continue messages to be sent on patch changes to external channel strips.