Archived - iPhone: Understanding GPS functionality in Egypt
GPS is not available while in Egypt or when using an Egyptian iPhone, and you may experience the following:
- An iPhone purchased in Egypt does not have GPS enabled
- An iPhone purchased in Egypt that is used outside of Egypt does not have GPS enabled
- Any iPhone used while roaming in Egypt does not have GPS enabled
- An unlocked iPhone used with an Egyptian carrier's SIM does not have GPS enabled
- When using Maps in the scenarios above, the blue marker does not appear, and instead a circle is used to show your approximate location and other applications that use Location Services do not provide GPS coordinates.
Update to iOS 3.0 or later.
This was expected behavior with iOS 2.0 and was consistent with Egyptian law regarding GPS-enabled devices at the time. It does not indicate that the iPhone needs repair.
Note: Maps, directions, and location information depend on data collected and services provided by third-parties. These data services are subject to change and may not be available in all geographic areas, resulting in maps, directions, or location information that may be unavailable, inaccurate, or incomplete.
See "Understanding Location Services on iPhone and iPod touch" for more information about Location Services.