Apple TV: HDMI audio stops working
Apple TV (1st generation), Apple TV (2nd generation)
Apple TV may stop playing audio to an HDMI device (TV, AV receiver, HDMI switcher).
There may be a number of reasons why HDMI audio stops working on an Apple TV. Switching devices using AV receivers, HDMI switches, using HDMI splitters, or removing an HDMI cable and plugging it back in when all the devices in use are powered on may cause Apple TV's audio output to stop.
To resolve this issue, try the following. If one of these steps brings the audio back, you don't need to continue with the other steps.
- Verify that the current software is installed by choosing Settings > General > Update Software.
- Change the TV's input selection to something other than HDMI (component, for example) and then switch back.
- If the unit in question is an AV receiver or HDMI switch, change the selection to something else and then back to Apple TV's setting.
- Unplug the HDMI cable from Apple TV, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in.
- Unplug the power cable from Apple TV, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in.
- Unplug the power cable from the TV, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in.
- Power off all HDMI devices and power them back on in the following order: TV, AV receiver, then Apple TV.
- Using the Apple remote, press both Menu and Menu down/scroll (-) for about 6 seconds to reset Apple TV. For Apple TV (1st generation) only: After the Apple TV is finished rebooting, select Restart from the Recovery menu.