Apple TV: HDMI audio stops working
Your Apple TV may stop playing audio to an HDMI device (TV, AV receiver, or HDMI switcher) for these reasons:
- Switching devices using AV receivers
- Using HDMI switches
- Using HDMI splitters
- Removing an HDMI cable and plugging it back in when all the devices in use are on
Try these steps to fix your audio issue; If the audio starts working after you complete one of the steps, you don't need to continue with the other steps:
- Select an input other than HDMI for the TV (component, for example), and then switch back to HDMI.
- If you use an AV receiver or HDMI switch, select something else, and then switch back to the Apple TV setting.
- Unplug the HDMI cable from Apple TV, wait 10 seconds, and then plug it back in.
- Unplug the power cord from Apple TV, wait 10 seconds, and then plug it back in.
- Unplug the power cord from the TV, wait 10 seconds, and then plug it back in.
- Turn off all HDMI devices, and then turn them on in this order:
- AV receiver
- Apple TV
- Check for Apple TV updates by choosing Settings > General > Update Software.