iSync: Troubleshooting phone connections
If you're having difficulty adding your phone to iSync, or getting iSync to recognize your phone after adding it, try these troubleshooting tips to resolve the issue.
Note: If you're using a Palm OS-based PDA or phone, see How to set up your Palm OS device via USB or How to sync a PalmOS device over Bluetooth instead, depending on your connection type, for more information.
Make sure your phone works with iSync
- If you're using iSync 2.x, see the iSync Compatible Devices page.
- If you're using iSync 1.5, check out About compatible devices for information.
If your phone works with iSync, read on to troubleshoot your issue.
Update your software
Use Software Update to make sure iSync and Mac OS X are up to date. If you need help updating your software, see Updating your software.
Troubleshoot a USB connection
If you connect your phone to your computer with a USB cable:
- Make sure that your phone is designed to sync through USB. Some phones sync through Bluetooth only, even if they feature a USB connection.
- Turn the phone off and then back on.
- Make sure that your phone is not locked (if applicable).
- Make sure that the USB cable is securely connected to your computer's USB port and to your phone.
- Connect the phone to a different USB port. For example, connect the cable directly to a USB port on your computer instead of to the keyboard, hub, or display USB port.
- Make sure that your computer sees your phone. Open System Profiler and click USB (it's under Hardware). If you see your phone listed, your computer recognizes it.
- If you're using a Motorola phone, make sure that you are using a compatible cable.
Troubleshoot a Bluetooth connection
If you connect your phone to your computer through Bluetooth:
- Make sure that Bluetooth is enabled on both your computer and the phone.
- Try turning the phone off and then back on, then adding it in iSync.
If the issue persists, try this:
- Delete your current phone pairing: From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences, click Bluetooth, click the Devices tab, select your phone, and click Delete.
- Click the "Set up new device" button to open Bluetooth Setup Assistant.
- In Bluetooth Setup Assistant, select the "Mobile phone" radio button in the Select Device Type screen and click Continue (do not select "Other" or "Any device").
- Make sure that your mobile phone is set to be discoverable over Bluetooth (see your phone's documentation for more information). When your phone appears in the Bluetooth Setup Assistant, click Continue.
- Select the option to "Set up iSync to transfer contacts and events" when prompted.