Archived - Disk Utility reports "Underlying task reported failure" when repairing a volume
Disk Utility, Adobe Photoshop CS2, Adobe Illustrator CS2
In rare circumstances, Disk Utility may display the following message when you try to verify or repair a disk:
"The underlying task reported failure"
The Disk Utility log will also display a -9972 error code. This indicates that your disk volume has issues that Disk Utility cannot fix.
What can I do?
If you experience this rare occurrence, you should attempt to resolve the issue as soon as possible.
- Try using fsck in single user mode, or start up your computer from a different volume before verifying or repairing.
- Back up as much of your important data and files as you can, then try using a third-party disk utility to repair the drive. Be sure that you use one that works with your version of Mac OS X.
- Back up as much of your important data and files as you can, then perform an Erase and Install installation of Mac OS X on the affected volume.
Important: This option completely erases the destination volume and then installs a new copy of Mac OS X. You should always backup important files on the target volume before performing an Erase and Install installation. You can then restore your backed up files afterwards.
For Mac OS X 10.4.6 or earlier: If you have Adobe Photoshop CS2 or Adobe Illustrator CS2 installed, try removing the following files:
- /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS2/Legal.localized/Tiê�?ng Việt.html
- /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CS2/Legal.localized/Tiê�?ng Việt.html
If you wish to view these documents please visit this website.