Mac OS X Leopard: Keyboard Viewer, Character Palette does not appear
Mac OS X 10.5
Keyboard Viewer, Japanese Kana Palette, and/or Character Palette may not appear in the Input menu or in International preferences in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. This may occur on some Macs that shipped with Leopard pre-installed. You may encounter this if you use any of these items and migrated your settings from another Mac via Setup Assistant.
If you can't enable these in International preferences, use this workaround:
- From the Finder's Go menu, choose Utilities.
- Open Terminal (located in the Utilities folder, in the Applications folder).
- Carefully type (or paste) the following command, then press Return.
sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache*
- Enter your admin password if prompted for it.
- Type or paste the following command in Terminal, then press Return.
sudo rm /var/folders/*/*/-Caches-/com.apple.IntlDataCache*
- Quit Terminal.
- Restart the computer.
The Keyboard Viewer, Japanese Kana Palette and/or Character Palette should now available choices in International preferences, and can be re-enabled there so that they appear in the text input menu.