iOS: Troubleshooting applications purchased from the App Store
iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, iTunes Store
If you are having an issue with an app you purchased from the App Store on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, try the following troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.
Try the following steps to resolve your issue, testing the app after each step.
1. Update your device software
2. Check for app updates
- Open the App Store and tap Updates. If updates are available, tap Update All.
- When prompted, enter your iTunes Store account information. App Store will then download and install the application updates.
Note: Some applications may require a Wi-Fi connection to update.
3. Install another app from the App Store
If none of your user-installed apps will launch, there could be an issue with Apple ID authorization. Download and install a free (or paid) app that isn't already installed on your device to reset this information. You could also remove an app from your iOS device and download it again from the App Store or sync the app from your computer.
Note: If you have installed apps using multiple Apple ID accounts, you may need to perform this step for each account.
4. Restart the application
If the issue affects only a single app, try closing just that app:
- Press the Home button to return to the Home screen.
- Double-tap the Home button to display recent apps.
- Tap and hold the affected app until the red minus appears.
- Tap the red minus to quit the app.
- Press the Home button, then restart the app.
5. Restart your device
Hold the Sleep/Wake button until "slide to power off" appears. Slide to power off your device. When it is off, press the Sleep/Wake button to turn it back on.
6. Reinstall the affected application
Remove the application from your device and reinstall it.
- Touch and hold any application icon on the Home Screen until the icons start to wiggle.
- Tap the "x" in the corner of the application you want to delete.
- Tap Delete to remove the application and all of its data from your device.
- Press the Home button.
- Go to the App Store.
- Search for the application and then download it again.
Note: If it is a paid app, ensure you are using the iTunes account you purchased the app with originally. If it is not, you will be charged for the app again. For more information regarding downloading previously purchased items, see this article.
7. If the issue is still unresolved
If you continue to experience the issue, contact the developer of the application for further assistance.