iTunes: Videos may be unable to sync to iPhone, iPad, or iPod
If you see this alert, iTunes has detected that one or more of the videos syncing from your iTunes library isn't a format you can play on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod: "[Your File] was not copied to the [Device Name] because it cannot be played on this iPhone."
iTunes can play a wide variety of video formats; however, iPhone, iPad, and video-capable iPod devices play videos in specific formats. To learn which video formats are supported:
- Go to the technical specifications.
- Click your device's product family.
- Click your specific model.
Learn more about playing and syncing High Definition (HD) content.
Other video sources
If you didn't purchase your videos from the iTunes Store, they may not be a format that you can play on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. In many cases, you can convert them to the correct format using iTunes.
Depending on your device, choose one of these options:
- Select a video and choose File > Create New Version > Create iPod or iPhone Version.
- Select a video and choose File > Create New Version > Create iPad or Apple TV Version.
- Learn how to verify iTunes video conversion and video syncing using sample QuickTime files.
- Learn more about viewing and syncing videos.