Archived - iPod not recognized when connected to Windows laptop over USB
iPod, Microsoft Windows
If your Microsoft Windows-compatible laptop or portable computer is configured to conserve power by turning off power on the USB bus, it might not recognize a connected iPod. To resolve this issue, turn USB bus power back on by doing the following:
- On the Start menu, click Control Panel.
- Double-click the System icon.
- Click the Hardware tab.
- Click Device Manager.
- Scroll down the list of devices to the Universal Serial Bus controllers
- Click the plus (+) icon next to the Universal Serial Bus controllers.
- Double-click one of the indented USB Root Hub entries.
- Click the Power Management tab.
- Deselect the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
- Click the OK button at the bottom of the window.
- Restart the computer.
If you don't have a PC laptop or the steps above did not help, see this document for more information.