iPod: Can't restore or update in iTunes with error 1415, 1417, 1418, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1436, or 1439
When you restore or update your iPod in iTunes, you may see the "An unknown error has occurred" alert followed by the number 1415, 1417, 1418, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1436, or 1439.
- If you have an iPod shuffle, you can use the iPod Reset Utility to restore the iPod. If you're not sure which iPod you have, you can identify your iPod model.
- If you're using an iOS device, such as an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, follow these steps to resolve your issue.
To troubleshoot the error, follow these steps:
- Disconnect and reconnect your iPod to iTunes and restore or update the iPod.
- Restart your computer and restore or update the iPod.
- Connect your iPod to a different USB port (a USB 2.0 port if possible) and restore or update the iPod. For Windows computers, follow these steps to identify USB 2.0 ports.
- Disconnect any third-party USB devices from your computer. You don't need to remove your keyboard or mouse. Then, restore or update the iPod.
- Update iTunes and restore or update the iPod.
- Use a different user account on your computer to restore or update the iPod. For example, create a new test user account on the computer with admin rights and iTunes and restore or update the iPod.
- Turn off Disk Use on your iPod and restore or update the iPod.
- Turn on Disk Use on your iPod and restore or update the iPod.
- Reregister ".dll" files by using these steps under "Solution 1."
- Update or reinstall your Windows USB drivers using these steps under "iPod only: Updating, or in some cases reinstalling, the drivers for your computer's USB interface may resolve this issue."
- If you use third-party security software, you might need to update, disable, or uninstall your security software temporarily.
Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple’s recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.
Last Modified: Oct 28, 2013