Archived - Final Cut Express 1 and 2: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Why isn't my serial number accepted by the program?
- Why can't I hear audio while capturing?
- Why can't I hear audio during playback from the Timeline?
- Final Cut Express doesn't recognize my camera. What's wrong?
- Where can I find the product manual?
- How can I prevent out-of-sync audio on long clips?
- How do I transfer my project to iDVD?
- I hear beeping when I play audio. Why is that?
- How do I set keyframes?
- Why don't I see real-time effects and transitions?
- Make sure you are reading from the original serial number label that came with the product.
- Enter your first and last name, and verify there are no mistakes in the serial number field.
- Make sure you enter a zero and not an O, a 1 and not a lowercase L, where appropriate.
- The dashes in the serial number are required.
- Make sure there are no spaces before or after the serial number.
Question 2: Why can't I hear audio while capturing?
Answer: To hear audio during the capture process, connect headphones or speakers to your camera or deck.
Question 3: Why can't I hear audio during playback from the Timeline?
- If you're viewing the video on an external camera or deck, connect headphones or speakers to that device.
- If you're viewing the video on the monitor connected to your computer, choose View > Video > Real-Time.
Question 4: Final Cut Express doesn't recognize my camera. What's wrong?
- Verify that the camera is on, connected to the computer, and in VTR mode.
- Make sure your camera is on the Final Cut Express qualified device list: http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/qualification.html
- Use the appropriate Easy Setup for your camera. Some cameras require FireWire Basic protocol.
- If you are using the Now button to capture, make sure you press Play on the camera.
Answer: The manual is located on the Final Cut Express CD in PDF format. More print options may be available at http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/
Answer: Make sure that the "Sync Adjust Movies Over...Minutes" setting is enabled in Preferences. Then, delete the clips that are out of sync and reimport them.
Answer: Select the icon for your finished sequence in the Browser. Then choose File > Export > Final Cut Movie. This saves a file which can be dragged into an iDVD project window.
Question 8: I hear beeping when I play audio. Why is that?
Answer: The beeping indicates that one or more audio tracks are encoded in an incompatible format. MP3 files need to be converted to AIFF using a program such as iTunes or QuickTime Pro Player and re-imported into Final Cut Express. Audio imported from iMovie 3 projects can be rendered within Final Cut Express to resolve the issue.
1. Set the Canvas to Image + Wireframe (choose View > Image+WireFrame)
2. Manipulate the position, rotation, and scale of the clip using the wireframe.
3. Click the Add Keyframe button or press Control-K.
For more information, please see the Final Cut Express User's Manual.
Answer: Make sure you choose View > Video > Real-Time. Available real-time effects appear in bold type in the Effects menu and Effects browser and will vary based on the performance of your computer (a G4 processor is required). Multiple video layers can also prevent real-time previews from appearing.