Archived - Mac OS: Flashing Globe When Computer Turns On
If the Network Disk icon is selected in the Startup Disk control panel, and the computer is not connected to a NetBoot server, the computer will take significantly longer to start up.
The following startup sequence is observed:
1. The computer begins to start up.
2. A flashing or blinking globe appears on the screen. (This can last several minutes.)
3. A folder that has an alternating flashing question mark and the Mac OS logo inside appears on the screen. (This can last several minutes.)
4. The computer starts up normally.
This is happening because Network Disk is selected in the Startup Disk control panel and no NetBoot servers are available.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
1. Open the Startup Disk control panel.
2. Select the appropriate startup disk icon.
3. Close the Startup Disk control panel.
4. Restart the computer.