Archived - About the Mac OS X Server 10.5.1 Update
Mac OS X Server 10.5
This software updates Mac OS X Server version 10.5 to version 10.5.1.
Important: Read before installing
- You must have an administrator account password that does not contain spaces or Option-keyed characters to install this update. The password may not be left blank. If you need to change your password, see this article.
- You may experience unexpected results if you've installed third-party system software modifications, or if you have modified the operating system through other means. (This doesn't apply to normal software installation.)
- The installation process should not be interrupted. Monitor progress by clicking the Detailed Progress disclosure triangle. If a power outage or other interruption occurs during installation, use the standalone installer (see below) from Apple Support Downloads to install.
- This update can be installed on non-startup volumes, but you should only do this if the current startup volume has already been updated to Mac OS X Server version 10.5.1. The simplest way to avoid issues from an improper installation is to start up from the volume that you wish to update.
There are three ways to update to Mac OS X Server 10.5.1: Use Software Update, install from a standalone installer, or install on a remote computer via the softwareupdate command.
Software Update installation
Software Update may have referred you to this document. For more information on this feature, see this article. Because some updates are prerequisites for others, you may need to use Software Update more than once to obtain all available updates.
Download the update installer and run it manually. This a useful option when you need to update multiple computers but only want to download the update once.
If you need to install the update on a remote computer, you can do so using the softwareupdate command-line tool.
This update delivers several improvements, including:
- Addresses an issue which could prevent external users from being added to a newly-created group in Server Preferences.
- Addresses an issue in which 10.5.x-based software images could lead to an unresponsive NetBoot client.
- Addresses an issue blocking control of client application access when usernames contain non-ASCII characters.
- Addresses intermittent Password Server errors.
SMB File Service
- Addresses an issue in which Microsoft Windows clients may misinterpret shared folders' ACL settings.
Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple's recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.