Archived - How to enable iTunes in the Windows XP Firewall
When the firewall in Windows XP is enabled, it may prevent iTunes from accessing the Internet unless iTunes is listed as an exception.
To make sure that your firewall is not blocking iTunes:
- On the Start menu, click Control Panel
- Double-click Internet Connections
- Right-click the network interface you use for Internet access and from the shortcut menu choose Properties.
- In the Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
- In the Windows Firewall section, click the Settings button.
- In the Windows Firewall window, make sure that the "Don't allow exceptions" option is not selected, and then click the Exceptions tab.
- Make sure that iTunes is checked under "Programs and Services" and click OK. If iTunes isn't listed under Programs and Services, click Add Program. If iTunes isn't listed in the Programs list, click Browse, navigate to the iTunes program (often at C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes), select it and click Open. Note that iTunes may also appear as "iTunes.exe."
- Click OK in the "Add a Program" window.
- Click OK in the "Windows Firewall" windows.
- Click OK in the Properties window.
Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple's recommendation or endorsement. Contact the vendor for additional information.