Archived - Mac OS X 10.3: Playing Video Compact Disc (VCD) media
You can play a Video Compact Disc (VCD) in Mac OS X Panther or later.
Mac OS X 10.3
This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple.
- Insert the VCD.
- Open QuickTime Player, which is in the Applications folder.
- From the File menu, choose Open Movie in New Player.
- Click the VCD icon in the Sidebar.
- Select the MPEGAV folder.
- Select the file whose filename extension is ".DAT".
- Click Open. The movie opens as a new window in QuickTime Player.
- Click the Play button or press the Space bar to begin playing the movie
Tip: To play an SVCD (Super Video Compact Disc), you need to install third-party software such as Video LAN Client.
About VCD media
Video Compact Discs hold much less data than DVD-Video discs, even though the discs are physically the same size. The video stored on a VCD is typically lower quality than the video on a DVD.
VCD video is encoded in MPEG1 format.
Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only, and does not constitute Apple's recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.