Archived - Mac OS X 10.3, 10.4 and later: Fonts in Mac OS 9 System Folder aren't available to Mac OS X applications
Mac OS X 10.3, Mac OS X 10.4
Fonts that are in your Mac OS 9 System Folder may not be available to Mac OS X Panther and Tiger applications until you select the System Folder in Classic preferences or start Classic.
- Fonts are unexpectedly substituted in a Mac OS X application.
- Fonts you expect to be available to a Mac OS X application are not.
This can happen when your Mac OS 9 System Folder is on a different volume than Mac OS X, if there are multiple Mac OS 9 System Folders present, or if the font is a bitmap font or font suitcase that contains only bitmap fonts (please note that bitmap fonts are not available in Mac OS X).
Either start Classic before using the Mac OS X application, or follow these steps once:
- Quit any open Mac OS X application that needs the font or fonts.
- From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
- In the resulting dialog, click Classic.
- Click the Start/Stop button.
- Select your System Folder in the list of available folders, even if it is the only choice.
- From the System Preferences menu, choose Quit.
- Reopen a Mac OS X application. Your fonts should be available (except for bitmap fonts).